By Rondi Hillstrom Davis and Janell Sewall Oakes
Mar 14, 2006, 20:30
4 cups flour
1/2 cup butter
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1 cup white raisins, optional
1. Preheat oven to 425°.
2. In a large bowl, combine butter and flour with a pastry blender or mix with your fingers until crumbly.
3. Add baking powder, salt and sugar.
4. In a separate bowl, beat together the egg and milk. Mix into dry ingredients.
5. Turn onto floured surface and pat carefully with hands into a one-inch thickness.
6. With a cookie cutter or the bottom of a drinking glass, cut dough into 2 inch rounds. Place on a greased cookie sheet, about one inch apart and bake for 15 minutes.
Yields 18 scones.
About the Authors: Rondi Hillstrom Davis and Janell Sewall Oakes are the co-authors of the award winning book Together: Creating Family Traditions. To check out their website that's jam packed with family ideas, visit http://www.togetherparenting.com