Mar 19th, 2010 - 11:39:35
Chocolate French Toast
By Rondi Hillstrom Davis and Janell Sewall Oakes
Feb 11, 2007, 19:43
Start off with a romantic breakfast or use as a special treat for the kids.
2 slices day-old French bread (1-inch thick, cut on the diagonal)
4 tablespoons mini chocolate chips (they melt faster)
2 tablespoons strawberry preserves
2 tablespoons softened cream cheese
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 dash cinnamon
2 tablespoon butter
Powdered sugar for garnish
1. Make a horizontal cut through each slice of bread to form a pocket, not cutting all the way through.
2. Spread 1 tbsp. of cream cheese in each pocket. Press 2 tbsp. chocolate chips into the cream cheese. Spread 1 tbsp. of the strawberry preserves into each pocket.
3. In a medium size bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, milk, vanilla and cinnamon.
4. Add the filled bread and allow to soak for 5 minutes.
5. Melt the butter in a heavy skillet.
6. Add the stuffed pockets. Cook over medium heat for 2 minutes on each side or until golden.
7. Serve warm, dusted with powdered sugar along with additional strawberry preserves or fresh strawberries on the side.
About the Authors: Rondi Hillstrom Davis and Janell Sewall Oakes are the co-authors of the award winning book Together: Creating Family Traditions. To check out their website that's jam packed with family ideas, visit www.togetherparenting.com