Mar 19th, 2010 - 11:39:35
Ribbon Striped Finger Sandwiches
By Rondi Hillstrom Davis and Janell Sewall Oakes
Feb 10, 2007, 19:38
Perfect for a Valentines Day luncheon or tea.
1 pint whipping cream
1 tablespoon sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla
1 angel food cake loaf or pound cake
1 pint fresh strawberries, sliced
Mint leaves for garnish
Chocolate shavings for garnish
1. In a chilled mixing bowl, whip the cream until stiff peaks form.
2. Add the sugar and vanilla and continue to whip until combined.
3. Slice the angel food cake horizontally into 4 (½- inch) slices.
4. Spread 1 slice of the angel food cake with whipped cream. Spread strawberry jam evenly on top. Layer sliced strawberries on top of the jam.
5. Top with a second slice of angel food cake and continue to layer. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill.
6. Use a sharp knife to cut the loaf into slices, about ½ inch thick.
7. Use a vegetable peeler to make thin strips of chocolate ribbons from a block of chocolate or a chocolate candy bar.
Garnish platter with strawberries, fresh mint leaves and chocolate shavings.
Makes 36 finger sandwiches.
About the Authors: Rondi Hillstrom Davis and Janell Sewall Oakes are the co-authors of the award winning book Together: Creating Family Traditions. To check out their website that's jam packed with family ideas, visit www.togetherparenting.com